I offer two weekly online acting classes via Zoom.
These classes are for adults all skill levels.
Mondays 5-8pm PT / 6-9pm MT / 8-11pm ET
Fridays 9am-12pm PT / 10am-1pm MT / 12-3pm ET
If interested in enrolling in classes, shoot me an email.
What to Expect
My classes cover a lot of ground. I've worked consistently for 20+ years in theater, voice-over, live and recorded music, on-camera productions, and commercials, and I'm a proud member of SAG-AFTRA and AEA. I spent over a decade in New York City, and have also worked professionally in Seoul, Korea, Los Angeles, and Colorado, as well as many regional productions and tours. With my experience in nearly every corner of the entertainment industry, I'm able to bring you training that is comprehensive, holistic, and intuitive. I understand the actor's perspective, because I am one - which means I can speak your language and will never give you cliché, vague direction or feedback. If I hear "just throw it away," "pick up the pace," or "raise the stakes" one more time... ;) If I ever say something like "raise the stakes," it'll come with direction on exactly HOW to do that.
We will work on all of the below in the class, plus whatever else I come up with that can help you in your career:
Relaxation - tuning your instrument
Focus - controlling where your attention and awareness lie
Imagination - using sense memory and creative substitutions to make imagined experiences feel real
Bringing your full, authentic self - your full breadth of experience and emotional complexity - to every character you play
The science of emotion and human psychology as it applies to acting
Learning how to keep speech patterns natural and realistic
Commercial acting - direct pitch and narrative commercials
Voice-over technique and voice acting
Shakespeare - the best training there is. If you can act Shakespeare, you can act anything.
The major differences between comedic and dramatic acting, and how to know which one you should be focusing on in any given scene.
Improv - both short and long form, comedic and dramatic
Power dynamics and navigating emotional shifts in scenes
Inside-out and outside-in approach to manufacturing authentic emotion
Vocal production - manipulating the way you speak to fit different characters
Acting as a business
Mindset training - how to overcome the dreaded nerves
Writing and producing your own content
Self-tape technique and set-up
Spontaneity and freedom in acting
I will also be hosting monthly Q&As and workshop events with casting directors, agents, and professional actors, so you can learn about the industry, hear from working actors about what it's like in different markets, and get some exposure to industry contacts. Some of these will be free, some will be available for an extra fee not to exceed $25, and some will be donation-based.
Classes are paid on a donation basis, with the suggested donation of $111 per month, if that rate is comfortable for you. Students who wish to train but have been adversely impacted by the pandemic can pay whatever they can comfortably afford at the moment, without prior discussion with me. I prefer payments via Venmo, but can also accept payments through PayPal, Apple Pay, Facebook Pay, the Cash app, and Zelle.
I offer private acting coaching to students all over the globe via Zoom, with discounted rates currently in order to make things more affordable for people during the current global crisis.
I tailor each student's coaching plan to their individual goals. Focuses include authenticity and vulnerability in acting, voice-over acting and/or building voice-over reels, and acting through song.
Current discounted rates:
Single session $65
4-pack $220 ($55/session)
8-pack $400 ($50/session
For more information or to schedule a session, email me at email@example.com.
I absolutely love taking classes with Samia. The way she creates a nurturing environment for personal and artistic growth is so dope to me and the main reason I love training with her. She keeps it real and her energy is uplifting. I'm a huge fan of the way she finds techniques that not only sharpen our acting skills but also add value to our daily lives. Thank you for all that you do!
Actor and Model
Samia combines years of experience with empathy and dedication to ensure that her students reach higher potentials. For me, that looked like tapping into talents I did not even know I possessed. Samia challenged me to be vulnerable and fearless while providing honest feedback that helped me grow. Her acting classes have been invaluable and I definitely recommend them.
I would like to share why I value Samia's classes so much, but to save your energy, will do so in points, so you don't have to read through it like it's the soliloquy preceding a recipe.
1. Affordable - I have taken lessons from schools that are not nearly as affordable and I would argue the value I get is more - by quite a bit.
2. Helpful - at many levels:
a) helps demystify auditions - on camera and on screen, as far as what sorts of equipment/set up is the standard in the industries, as well as budget considerations and workarounds
b) equipment - the options to consider for the various industries are also covered
3. It's a safe and comfortable environment. I don't feel like every class is an audition.
4. She is smart - that sounds silly, and sort of obvious, but she really addresses each person at their level and helps to elevate them, and is able to observe and assess that pretty quickly so no one's time is wasted. You would be surprised how hard that is as both a teacher and student to be in classes where teachers *don't* know how to do that.
5. Welcoming - everyone in her class feels safe and encouraging - no competition felt, everyone is genuine in their desire to help each other succeed and LEARN. There's enough diva-like and competitive behavior in the industry (and I struggle mightily with how to handle those situations), it's nice to get in a room (virtual) where there's none of that (I guess this is more of a thank you to my fellow classmates for being the wonderful humans they are).
6. Practical - it's not esoteric and exhausting. Meisner and Stanislavski are great but it is a process and can really beat you up, after you get over the confusing and mystifying stuff.
7. Compassionate and celebrates her students, who and as they are
8. She knows SO many aspects of the business. Again, not something that a lot of teachers know, or will readily share without forking over more money.
9. I don't feel like she's out for just my money or like she's doing me a favor, which is THE WORST feeling, let me tell you.
10. Related to #9 - I have been to schools that felt like schemes and sort of cultish in their behavior. Not this.
11. Honest - in her assessments and answers to questions. She's not out to sell herself as a teacher.
12. She celebrates her students' achievements for what it means for the students - NOT because it reflects well on her (which is a HUGE relief. Been there before and it feels gross and weird). I don't feel weird talking shop outside of class. (been there before and it's so stressful.)
13. Challenging - she will push you as far as you're willing, but really wants you to be the best you can be (without getting all trauma-inducing a la "Whiplash")
There's a reason I have proudly listed her on my acting resume... :)
Actor and Voice Actor
As Samia's student, I often found myself thinking that she is the best kind of teacher: one who is talented, experienced, passionate, patient, honest, and always on your side. I recently finished my time with Samia, and now I have the knowledge and skills that I need to go out and get work. Because of my time with Samia, I managed to book a voice-over job on a major upcoming Korean film. I also have two killer demo reels, which Samia had a huge hand in developing. Best of all, Samia helped me regain a feeling of confidence and comfort in my abilities, which was something I was missing, because she continued to push me and believe in me, even at times when I doubted myself. That she remains available for career advice and help with future auditions and roles makes her not only an excellent coach, but a valuable mentor and trusted friend, as well. Samia is a special talent who can do anything, and learning from her has been a privilege and an honor.
Radio Host and Voice Actor
Samia is an amazing coach! She has helped me transform my approach to understanding and developing a character. She has challenged me to be more vulnerable in my performances and to be more confident in them. She's flexible with scheduling and great to work with.